Call for a free consultation


Fort Worth Visitation Lawyer

Fort Worth Visitation Attorney

Fort Worth Visitation Attorney Serving Tarrant County

When married parents choose to get a divorce, or in other family law cases involving parents and children, one of the primary issues that will need to be addressed involves where children will live and when they will spend time with each parent. While many decisions related to child custody will be focused on legal custody or conservatorship, physical custody or possession and access is also an important concern that parents will need to consider. The decisions made in these cases will affect parents' ability to maintain close relationships with their children, be involved in all aspects of their lives, and provide them with the care, instruction, and support they need.

When addressing issues related to physical custody and visitation, parents can benefit both themselves and their children by working with a lawyer who has a strong knowledge of the laws that affect these cases and experience representing clients in matters handled in family court. At Hatton & Hatton, PLLC, we know the difficulties that parents and children can face in these situations, and we believe in helping our clients resolve matters in ways that will preserve important family relationships and protect children's best interests. We can help negotiate workable parenting agreements that will allow a parent to be closely involved in their children's lives and continue to provide their children with a strong, loving, supportive presence at all times.

Creating Workable Visitation Schedules

Parents will usually be able to share joint managing conservatorship of their children. In these cases, they will both have the right to make decisions about how children will be raised, including where they will go to school, the types of medical, dental, or psychological care they will receive, and other important issues. In some situations, sole managing conservatorship may be appropriate, and one parent will have the primary or sole responsibility for making these decisions. However, even in cases involving sole legal custody, parents may still share physical custody, and the non-custodial parent may still be named a possessory conservator, giving them the right to regular periods of visitation.

In many divorce and child custody cases, parents are able to reach agreements about the schedules that will be followed for when children will stay with each parent. As a starting point, parents may consider the "standard possession order" that is defined in the Texas Family Code. This order is presumed to provide a minimum amount of visitation time for a possessory conservator in cases where children are over the age of three. The standard possession order states that when parents' homes are located less than 50 miles apart, the non-custodial parent has the right to visitation time during the following schedule:

  • Every other weekend, starting after school on Friday and lasting until the time school resumes on the following Monday.
  • During the school year, Thursday evening each week starting after school until Friday morning when school resumes.
  • Spring break in even-numbered years.
  • During children's vacation from school during the summer for at least 30 days.

While the standard possession order provides a minimum amount time for visitation between children and a parent named as a possessory conservator, parents may reach agreements on other ways to divide the time children spend with them. Ideally, parents will be able to work together to find arrangements that will provide the most benefits for their children, ensuring that they will have quality time with each parent and that they will be able to build strong, lasting relationships.

Contact Our Tarrant County Child Visitation Attorneys

Our lawyers understand that what is considered the legal amount of minimum visitation time may not be what is best for parents or children. We can help parents negotiate agreements that will protect their parental rights and allow them to maintain close relationships. If a cooperative, amicable agreement will not be possible, we can provide legal representation and advocate for a parent's rights in court. To learn more about how we can help resolve these matters successfully, contact us at 817-349-8120 and schedule a complimentary consultation.

Back to Top